To provide excellent bus transport quality service in the country through
safe, reliable, convenient, and cost effective operation while achieving
the company’s growth and profitability commitments.
Philtranco was established in 1914 when Mr. Albert Louis Ammen and Mr. Max Blouse organized the AL Ammen Transportation Company (ALATCO), operating passenger buses from Iriga to Naga.
In 1958, ownership was transferred to the Tuason family, and just before Martial Law, in 1971, to the Mantrade Group. It was then known as Pantranco South Express, Inc. (PSEI)
Creditors took over and re-engineered the company in 1974, enabling a financial turnaround despite the series of financial setbacks that hit the country in the eighties.
By 1979, the company expanded its coverage to the eastern Visayas region and went into ferry operations at the San Bernardino Strait three years after.
In 1984, the company formally changed its name to Philtranco Service Enterprises, Inc.
Two years later, in 1986, the LUZVIMINDA run was launched. This was the first archipelago-wide bus-cum-ferry operation which finally united the islands of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.
Soon after, both cargo truck and air-conditioned bus services followed with the company’s Mindanao expansion.
In 1997, a group of young businessmen who had had success in running their own transport companies acquired a controlling interest. However, after just 2 years, the group accepted an offer by Penta Pacific Realty Corporation.
The company supported the Strong Republic Nautical Highway 2002 project of the government which opened opportunities for trade, commerce and tourism in the western Visayan corridor of the country.
In 2003, the Philtranco central station was built at the heart of Pasay City. It features an automated passenger and baggage check-in system, fully air-conditioned pre-departure area, and a 24/7 staff committed to maintain the safety, orderliness and cleanliness of the station.
The company further opened the route from Manila to the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in Clark, Pampanga in 2004; and subsequently, extended the connection to Subic.
It also constructed the Cubao common terminal in Quezon City in 2005.
In truth, the terminal network of Philtranco forms the major logistical support to service its riding public. These terminals function not only as passenger stations but also provide repair, maintenance and refueling facilities for the fleet. There are thirty four (34) terminals and sub-stations.
Philtranco currently provides ordinary, air-conditioned and first-class bus transport services and carries an unbroken tradition of serving the routes of Southern Tagalog , Bicol, Eastern Visayas, and Mindanao regions through a growing fleet of 250 buses.
True to its vision, Philtranco not only offers an alternative to air travel, it promises a more diverse experience as passengers are exposed to various sceneries and other cultural highlights.
Building on a hundred years’ commitment to excellence, Philtranco Service Enterprises, Inc. intends to lead the way into its next century of serving the Filipino passenger across the country.